Wednesday 11 June 2014

Sneaky Peek at my Latest Project












In 2012 we were lucky to get the chance to go to Australia to meet my many Australian cousins.  Their mother (my mums sister) had moved out there when she had one young daughter, can you imagine moving to the other side of the world, leaving your family and everyone you know.  What an incredibly brave thing to do.  I had heard about my Australian cousins all my life, imagining they all had pet kangaroos, well I did watch Skippy the Bush Kangaroo as a child.  Three more children were born out there and now they all have children and grandchildren so I have an awful lot of Australian cousins.  I had met a few when they came over to the UK, and of course we have been Face Booking, it's such a shame my mum didn't live to see the advance of social media.








We had an amazing trip travelling from Adelaide around to Melbourne, across an absolutely beautiful country, meeting all my lovely cousins and were made to feel very welcome.  Our last stop was in Melbourne and before we left we visited a lovely little quilt shop.  Well you don't think a quilter would be able to resist buying some fabric.  I bought a few fat quarters with aboriginal prints as I love this form of Art.  I have been wondering how to use the fabric as it wasn't really enough to do much with and I didn't want to cut it too small as it would ruin the patterns.  I have been meaning to make something using paper piecing for ages so decided to make large hexagons with the fabric.  I bought some Kaffe Fassett dots fabric to add to my fabric and have been working on them on and off over the last few months.  There was still not enough to make a quilt, but I think I have come up with a solution so watch this space.


I couldn't resist adding a photo of this Roo with attitude we saw when we were there





5 comments:

  1. It must have been so exciting to finally meet all of your cousins! I have lots of relatives like that too, I know about them but haven't really met any of them before. That roo is certainly looking relaxed, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful to meet them all and actually see where they all live. Now I can picture where they are talking about.

      Delete
  2. That's one laid back kangaroo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sure was, totally ignoring the all the tourists taking photos. They are cheeky chaps, one pinched a bag of food out of my OH pocket when he wasn't quick enough handing over the goods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that fabric, I'm sure it will look great. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!