Wednesday 16 July 2014

Aussie Quilt




After all the excitement of the last few weeks, I am now settling down to more sedate pastimes.

You may remember the sneaky peek of the quilt I posted a few weeks ago.  I have now tacked all the fabric onto their paper pieces and I am now starting to sew them together.  I brought some fat quarters of fabric back from Australia which I didn't want to cut too small and lose the patterns, so these hexagons are larger than the traditional paper piecing.

  I haven't decided exactly what I am going to do, but that is part of the excitement for me.  I don't often follow patterns, preferring to see how the quilt turns out, making decisions as I go along.  The quilt often makes the decision for me.

This quilt is being made with new fabric, but usually I love using old fabric cut from old clothes.  This would have been the only thing available in the early days of quilt making, as clothes became too worn to wear, they found a new life in quilts.  They wouldn't have called it recycling then, but they were 'green' without knowing it.  I also love the memories held in quilts that are made of your families old clothes.

I will keep you posted on the quilts' progress.

I love seeing all the beautiful crafts by fellow bloggers, you are all such a talented lot!

Back to sewing,

Chickpea xx


10 comments:

  1. I love the Aboriginal designs of the animals, I have a painting with that type of design on it called the waterhole.
    It will be interesting to see how your quilt turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love aboriginal art, and the meanings behind it. I think it will take me a while to complete the quilt but I will put up photos as I work on it Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabrics that you are using and how they are all coming together. My quilt that I am making now is made mostly from old shirts, so that is pretty traditional right? I look forward to seeing further progress. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you Amy, I love the fabric as it reminds me of my trip to Australia to see my Australian cousins.

    Old shirts are brilliant to use in quilts, I made one with my families old shirts, including my dads when I cleared my parents house after he died, also my sons shirts from when they were younger. It is my memory quilt.

    Looking forward to seeing yours finished x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smashing fabrics, you will have a Dreamtime quilt when you finish.

    jean x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colors are gorgeous, it's going to be a very distinctive quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those fabrics - especially the one with the turtles and snakes. By the way, I am adding you to my favourite blogs list on my site. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Jennifer, I have to make it stretch as I only brought back a few fat quarters, wish I had bought more now, but there is only so much you can squeeze in a suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you isabelle you are on mine xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!