Tuesday 8 July 2014

Friends and Communities







The thing about friends is you can pick them, and I have chosen well.  Some go back many many years, others are fairly new, but they are a wonderful part of my life.  My dear friend B is staying with me at the moment.  She used to live in Cornwall, we met when we both signed up for a dressmaking course, we didn't learn anything because we spent the whole time chatting.  We are still no good at dressmaking, but keep trying.  She persuaded me to join the Samba band which brings me such joy, and I am forever grateful to her for that.  She will be making a guest appearance with us on Saturday!!


Last year she made the decision to move back to Norwich, her home city, and I miss her like hell.  We have the same sense of humour, we are the same age so are going through the same stages in our lives and we both love a ruby (curry).  When I picked her up from the station, we both had a few tears, but we have now slotted back into our routine like she has never been away.  Good friends don't have to see each other every day, but you know they are always there if you need them.

Last year when I was recovering, she brought me big bags of pick n mix, a well known aid to recovery!  She was there when I needed good friends around me.

Yesterday we went to Porthleven one of her favourite places and had a lovely few hours mooching around and lunching.  It is a very pretty village that suffered terrible damage in the storms last year, but the whole community pulled together.  They removed the boats from the damaged harbour and got them safely onto land.  It was a very scary time for them, many had to board up their windows to stop the waves crashing into their homes.  But I am happy to say the village is looking wonderful again, although very rainy in these photos.  It has lovely craft shops and is well worth a visit.  Check out Stargazey a lovely craft shop owned by a friend.  Yes an unashamed plug, but I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't good.  Also the artist studios at the Salt Cellars, many years ago I learned how to weave baskets,  B bought me some withies from there so I will be trying to remember how to do it.




















Lowen Mor gig (happy sea in Cornish)


The yellow boat is a gig.  Gig rowing is a very popular sport in Cornwall with a yearly World Championship taking place on The Isles of Scilly, men and women competing for the titles.  Unlike other rowing races, these take place at sea.  The 'pilot gig boats' were used to take pilots out to ships to guide them around the treacherous Cornish coast.  The fastest gigs would reach the ships first and get the pilot job, they also helped rescue people so were the first land based lifeboats.  The crews have to work together, rowing with perfect timing, practicing for many hours and relying on their fellow crew members.  In the past, they would go out in extremely dangerous conditions so relied on their crew members for their lives.





We went onto Penzance next and 'hit' the Charity shops, B is very good at searching out a bargain!  Before heading into the City for a glass or two of wine, giggling like schoolgirls on the walk home.  I am very tempted to show you the photo of her pretending to be a duck with two Pringles in her mouth, but that may lead to the end of a beautiful friendship.

Here's to friends and communities, I hope you are lucky enough to have both

Chickpea xx

18 comments:

  1. It's nice to have good friends,have you got a few? if so please show me the pringle picture lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day! I love the colour quality in those shots - beautiful moody grey. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Julee I'm hoping for a trip up to Norwich soon so I daren't x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Em, just taken on my phone x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely having proper friends isn't it? We are very lucky girls! Glad you are having such fun. Savour every minute!
    I will text you when I get back again, off on Thursday, away a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures the grey colour palette of them is very soothing and calm.

    jean x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had wonderful day. Even in the rain it looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Marianne, see you when you get back, have a lovely time xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jean, the clouds were wonderful, very moody

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a lovely day thank you Gina, we don't let rain stop us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you have such a wonderful friend in your life. Friends are a good thing, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Jennifer, we all need friends x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right, true friends are always friends no matter of often you do or don't see them! Glad that you had such a great time together, you sound very cheery!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a wonderful friend who is moving to the other side of the country later this year and I'm dreading it more than I care to admit. We will have to plan get togethers like this too. Beautiful photos - love the ominous skies and turbulent surf.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amy, haha yes I am cheery x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Isabelle, think of the lovely visits you will have with each other, when you see each other it will be like you have never been apart. We just picked up where we left off x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Chickpea, Fab friends are just that aren't they, FAB, glad you've had a good few days with your bestie,Thanks as always for sharing,
    Best Wishes
    Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sue, my pleasure, there's nothing like having a giggle with friends and they are fab xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!