Thursday 17 July 2014

Mexican Brunch






I nearly forgot to take a photo in my hurry to eat it!


I love the days when I start work later,  I get a chance to get things done while my energy levels are higher. By the evening I'm just too pooped to get much done. Especially in this hot weather.   I used to look after the children during the day, then go to work in the evening,  oh to have the energy I used to have.  When I get home from work, by the time I cook a meal and do other odds and ends, I don't feel like experimenting with new recipies.  It is usually a case of getting something on the table as soon as possible.

This morning I thought I would treat myself to a brunch of  Huevos Rancheros.  I haven't made it before, but it looked simple enough.  There are many different versions of this, as usual I went for the simple option of chucking stuff into a pan.  I  also made the corn tortillas as I couldn't find any in the shops without wheat flour in them, yes corn tortillas made with wheat!  They really don't make life easy for people who can't eat gluten.



For the sauce:

1 onion
1 red pepper and I threw in some little green peppers from my greenhouse
chilli, fresh would be good but I only had crushed chillies, add to taste, I like it spicy!!
A tin of chopped tomatoes, or chopped fresh tomatoes
Salt and pepper.
I leave out garlic as the OH hates it, even me eating it!


For the tortillas:

1 cup of masa harina flour
1 cup of hot water (approx. dough mustn't be too sticky)
pinch of salt



The sauce is the easy bit, chop the onion and pepper and soften a little in a pan with a small amount of oil, add the chilli and seasoning, cook for a further couple of minutes then add the tomatoes and cook until everything is softened but retains it's shape.







Now for the tricky bit,  add the water to the flour to make a dough, not too sticky.  Leave covered for 15 mins to rest.  Take a small ball of dough and place it on some greaseproof paper, put another sheet of paper on top and use a rolling pin to roll it into a circle about 3mm thick.



Dry heat a frying pan and carefully peal off the paper and cook the tortilla in the pan  for about 15 seconds, turn and cook for another 30 seconds, turn again and tortilla should puff up.  Repeat with the rest of the dough. Keep warm, while you fry an egg.

Place tortilla on a plate, smother with the salsa and add the egg.

I think my tortillas need a bit of practice, they were too thick, a funny shape and the pan wasn't hot enough, it was also tricky getting the paper off.  It would be a lot easier if I could find wheat free tortillas, but if I did they would probably cost a fortune as all gluten free stuff does!  With the sauce and egg on top they tasted fine.   If you have any tips on making tortillas let me know.


..... and with the rest of the sauce, I made my favourite






Nachos!

 O.k. not particularly healthy but I love them now and again for a treat

Simple food with a bit of a kick :)


Hope you are all coping with the heat.

Chickpea xx







10 comments:

  1. That looks great, I havent tried making tortillas will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you get on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mexican food, so I'll definitely be trying these tortillas (never made them myself before - yours look great). xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Mexican food as well Isabelle, I'm going to try making some refried beans next :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! It looks like you had breakfast where I live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tortillas would be a lot better than mine Jennifer x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great breakfast for sure!! I am sure that with a little more practice you will get the tortilla thing sorted out, well done you for having a go at it though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Amy, lots of practice required. It is like the rotis I used to make. The first few were rubbish, I got the hang of it and produced beautiful puffed up rotis. Now I can't eat them because of the wheat. Life is unfair sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was Gina, nice and spicy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!