Wednesday 23 July 2014

Peas, Beans and Nuts









For the last few weeks I have had broad beans and peas delivered in my veg box,  which are lovely just cooked as they are,  but today I fancied something a bit different.  It had to be something quick before I went to work.  So I podded them, left the broad beans in their outer skin,  (you could remove them for a smoother texture) cooked them for about 3 mins in boiling water, drained, and then cooled them immediately under cold water.

I then put them in my food processor with mint from the garden, some extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  I also added some crushed dried chilli 'cause that how I roll :) .  You could use garlic, but I live with a vampire so can't have garlic in the house.  Then chilled it in the fridge,   it would be lovely with bruschetta, but as I only have some gluten free sliced bread that will have to do.  It is a lovely summery taste.








I managed to get the flower bed planted up yesterday despite the heat and started to tame the trees in the front garden, which OH shredded last night to use as mulch.   Remind me next time not to stand under the branch I am cutting off, it was a lot heavier than I thought!







I was going to put this edging along the border but couldn't get it to stay in the ground, and they kept falling out of the wire, totally useless!  (yes the path needs weeding)



 I trimmed the corkscrew hazel a little bit as it was over hanging the neighbours drive.   The nuts are beginning to grow, I'm looking forward to eating them later in the year.  I don't do anything fancy with them I'm afraid. I usually find them on the floor as I go out to the car, crush them under my foot and pick out the nut and eat it.  I'm like a giant slug grazing my way around the garden.




Hazelnuts




It's been incredibly hot here again today, which means it will be another night without sleep.  I hope the weather is kind to you wherever you are.

Chickpea xx

10 comments:

  1. Well done on the planting. I've decided I'm really not keen on broad beans even when I try to disguise them but I have a deal with DH I'll eat them and he'll eat french beans.......I know he's crazy not to like french beans!

    Too hot here as well, managed an hours weeding before running back home.

    Crazy garden slug lol you make me laugh! There's a hazel tree on the lottie and the branches lean over onto the path, it would not be stealing if they hit the floor would it? I'm soooo bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I think they are fair game if they fall on to a path

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a fan of broad beans - I used to share a house years ago with someone who ate bowls of them boiled and then covered in soy sauce, it put be right off! - but your idea sounds lovely. Kind of broad bean houmous!! I hope that your head is OK after the branch encounter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes heads fine, just another bump to add to the one I got last week when I was looking for something under the sewing table. Got up too soon and bang! As you have probably guessed I am accident prone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what about an electric fan at night?, broad beans yum yum our favourites

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be too noisy. It's forecast rain here tomorrow so I'm hoping it will cool down. I was out in the garden at 5.30 this morning trying to cool down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I feel like tucking right in. Mind if I come over? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had better be quick before I scoff the lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dare I say it, I'm ready for a bit of rain now. It's been a bit too hot for me of late. Smashing recipe.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had some rain tonight Jean, but it is still HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!