Wednesday 30 July 2014

Rotis






I am so so tired today, lack of sleep is really getting to me.  It was a very hot day at work and lots of traffic to deal with on the way home so I am pooped!  Excuse the rather short post today.

I typed out this recipe for a friend today, it is from Miss Masala by Mallika Basu, I have used this book a lot when cooking Indian food which I love.  I used to love making these but as they are made with atta flour I can no longer eat them.  So here's the recipe for you, I hope you enjoy :)


I'm off to curl up on a chair


Chickpea xx


ROTIS


110g (4 oz) Wholewheat flour or atta (chppati flour) plus extra for dusting  
(I used atta)
1 pinch of salt.
4 tsp butter

  1. Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Add 1 tbsp of hot water and mix it vigorously into the flour.  You will get a crumbly mixture.  Add a bit more hot water and repeat the process.  The idea is to break the flour down and incorporate plenty of air into the dough.

  1. Keep adding the water (about half a mug in total) until you get a hard dough that does     not stick to your fingers.  You won’t need all the hot water in the cup.  Now go into the dough with your knuckles kneading the dough.  The more you knead the softer the rotis will be.

  1. Roll the dough into a thick sausage and break it off into four parts, forming each of these into a dough ball.  Leave the dough balls in the mixing bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth and rest for 30 mins.

  1. Lightly flour a chopping board and set a large, non stick frying pan over a med. heat.  Dip the first dough ball in the flour, flatten and roll it out into a disc about 1 mm thick.  

  1. Place the roti in the frying pan and heat for 2 mins on each side until the little bubbles appear on the side being cooked.  You may need to press down on the roti to encourage this.

  1. When the bubbles appear, take the frying pan off the heat and toast the roti directly on the hob for a couple of seconds on each side until it swells up. Use tongs to do this.  When the pale brown spots on the roti turn darker and it swells up that means it’s done.


I love the bit where it swells up!







7 comments:

  1. This sound lovely and easy to make. A stupid question but is your hob gas or electric? X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fran, I have a gas hob but you can do it with an electric hob as well, also make sure the frying pan is hot enough for the first first bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope you'll catch up on some sleep - nothing worse than lack of sleep, in my opinion. It makes even the simplest things tough going. Sleep well! xxx

    p.s. I have that painting framed and hanging above my sofa (well, not the original, of course, but a good poster print)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you isabelle, some days I could cry I'm so tired, and make silly mistakes.

    It is a beautiful painting isn't it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohh LOVE Indian food too, Hope you manage to get some shut eye,it's not nice is it, i'm a right grumpy wotsit if i don't sleep well,I like the print too, i could do that 'bout now!!
    Sleep Well Chickpea
    Sue xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sue, I have been known to be a bit grumpy lol x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!