Sunday 6 July 2014

Samba and a Chip Thief












Last night was a special night, one that brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

The band was booked to play on the last night of Mevagissey Feast Week, which they have been celebrating since 1754.  Mevagissey is a typical Cornish fishing village with narrow little streets thronged with visitors in the summer.  Their Feast week is a chance for the community to get together culminating in a carnival in which half the village donned fancy dress and joined in, while the other half cheered and clapped them on.  There was a brass band, a New Orleans jazz band complete with coffin and second line twirling parasols, Spanish dancers and many more magnificent participants.  Sorry no photos, too difficult to play and take snaps.  Everyone made a huge effort for such a little village, it was a wonderful turnout.  We played along near the back our drums booming out in the narrow little streets.

We were also asked to play on the harbour side later in the evening, the rest of the band were given pasties which was agony for me not being able to eat pastry!  So I treated myself to a bag of chips (yes I know, not very healthy), but you can't beat sitting on a harbour wall eating chips, 'ansome as we say in Cornwall.




























What a beautiful sight I thought, I'll take some photos for my blog.  There I am snapping away when a huge seagull (yes they are huge down here) sneaks up and steals some of my chips!  They are renowned in Cornwall for literally snatching food out of your hands.  They have a special liking for pasties and ice-cream . But MY chips, after I had gone to so much effort to save one of their babies just two night before.  How ungrateful!  A samba beater comes in very handy to swat away seagulls.



The chip thief trying to look nonchalant 






Our set on the harbour followed the jazz band that had us all jigging away to 'oh when the saints, come marching in'  I had a few butterflies before starting as usual, but soon everyone was cheering and dancing to the sound of samba.  Two encores and they still wanted more, however we thought we had better not disturb the peace too late into the evening.  If you have ever heard a samba band you will realise how loud we can be.

 I went home exhausted but happy.






Are there any local celebrations that you enjoy, or take part in?

I hope you all had a lovely weekend,

Chickpea xx

12 comments:

  1. Gosh, it sounds like such a nice event! I would enjoy it too. Your chips look delicious, they're making me hungry! I love the colorful lanterns and that first photo of them is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so beautiful there, your so lucky. Gorgeous scenery and a lovely dinner non guest, what more could you ask for? I can't believe he posed after, cheeky chappie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fabulous evening... and the chips looked good! I have happy memories of childhood holidays in Mevagissy (in the days went it wasn't quite so crowded with tourists in the summer!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic community effort, so lovely to be part of something like that. I adore those coloured lanterns, they make me think of parties in the 1930s, not that I was around then i hasten to add.

    jean x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seagulls are pretty cheeky over here too!
    The photos are lovely, glad you had a good time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I am on holiday in Cornwall already! We won't be far from Mevagissey (we are going to Portscatho). The festival looks fun and I can imagine swinging my hips to a bit of samba music. I am glad you enjoyed the festival. Shame about the chips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer, the chips were delicious! I love the photo of the lanterns, lucky shot taken on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julee, it is very pretty. He certainly wasn't camera shy, I'm surprised he didn't try to steal that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gina, small world hey! A lot has probably changed but not the very narrow little streets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jean, I would love lanterns like that in my garden, so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Isabelle, I had a lovely time. It's a shame I wasn't able to take more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Christina, I hope the weather is good for you when you visit. Guard your chips!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!