Thursday 24 July 2014

Smelling the Roses and Strange Ducks







A couple of times a week I drive past the boating lake in Newquay and have noticed a little rose garden.  After a horrendously hot afternoon in work I decided to stop on the way home and have a look and get some fresh air before tackling the traffic.  Yes the silly season has started in Cornwall.  Wow, what a little gem of a garden!  So many different types of roses, and the smell was wonderful, I wish you could incorporate smell into blogs.  I'm usually more of a wild garden rather than a formal garden type of person, but the colours and variety of the roses were stunning.  The gardeners have done a wonderful job.  If you are ever in Newquay in the summer, take the time to go and smell the roses.



I didn't even know you could get purple roses.













































While I was there I took a stroll around the boating lake and came across these little fellas,  I haven't a clue what they are, perhaps Em from Dartmoor Ramblings will know?



Beautiful little bird.








Funniest looking ducks, with huge feet and boy could they move.  This one was heading straight for me, and looked at me as if to say get out of my way or I'll knock you over!









Just love that tuft :)


I hope you have enjoyed the rose garden, do you have a favourite rose?

I re read this post before I hit publish and realised I had typed gobbledegook, I think the hot sleepless nights are getting to me, please excuse any typo's normal service will be resumed as soon as I have stopped melting.   Off to Samba practice tonight, crikey it's going to be so hot, you would think I would be losing pounds in this heat, but no such luck.  All you people in genuinely hot countries must think we are a bunch of whingers over a little heat, but we just aren't used to it.  Oh how I wish we still lived in our old cottage with thick walls and little windows, it stayed lovely and cool in the summer.

Take care everyone,

Chickpea xx

14 comments:

  1. I'd love to smell those roses - they must smell better than I do in this heat.
    Good luck at Samba class this evening - my thoughts are with you :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm hoping not to be a Samba casualty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the purple and orange roses, I'm tempted to grow some.
    Hope you don't get too overheated at Samba class

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scent of roses is only just pipped by sweet peas and garden pinks, altogether they are fantastic. I think that your first bird may be a moorhen and the funny looking Ducks are Muscovy, they grow very large and will interbreed with wild mallards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worried there was going to be a picture of you sniffing a duck.

    Samba, in this heat? good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a cross between a duck and a chicken

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I think the ones with red are muscovies - we always called them turkey ducks till we learnt their name

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all overheated at Samba tonight Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Peas are a beautiful scent Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha Julee, they were a bit too viscous looking to sniff :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They might be prettier if they were David

    ReplyDelete
  12. The name Turkey Ducks suit them hazzy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone, Muscovies they are then

    ReplyDelete
  14. The roses are beautiful aren't they! It is a shame that there isn't scent a blogging for things like that! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!