Monday 14 July 2014

Soul Food and Music






Puy Lentil Salad


Welcome to Karyn and Hazzy (love the name of your blog)

I'm feeling really 'flat' today.  After the lead up to the Birthday party, then having my friend stay and Samba fun at the weekend, it is now back to the same old stuff.  Don't get me wrong, I usually like normal and routine, but I'm tired and feeling a bit weepy.  This is the time when I usually eat comfort crap food, which does me no favours at all and just makes me feel even more miserable after the initial 'hit'.

Determined not to continue down this path,  I made myself a simple meal of lentil salad.  I had some home grown cucumber and spring onion, broad beans from the veg box, peppers, tomatoes, coriander all thrown in with some herb dressing.  I've got some lovely mild goats cheese I will serve with it.  It's very simple to make.  I just washed the lentils and put them in a saucepan, 1 cup of lentils to 3 cups of water with a veg stock cube, brought to the boil and simmered for 20 to 25 mins until soft but still firm enough to keep their shape.  Allowed them to cool then added the other ingredients.  I have enough to take to work tomorrow and for the next day so no excuse to eat crap.








 Music is as usual soothing me with a bit of the weirdly wonderful Godspeed You! Black Emperor (infinity) playing as I am typing.





I have tickets to see Elbow at the Eden Project tonight so I am hoping this will also lift my spirits.  A truly beautiful song.  The 'black dog' can stop sniffing around the door, it is not going to be let in.

Chickpea xx



Oh and I came back from the Supermarket and realised my very old comfortable jeans have worn through at the crotch.  Lucky I had a long top over them!!

16 comments:

  1. How lovely to be so close to the Eden Project and Elbow are excellent. I hope you have a great time. It did look a great weekend I'm not surprised you took a dip when it was over. Many years ago I danced with a local Morris side and we went to Germany for a festival. Unfortunately for us, due to a timing problem, we were sent into an enormous arena to dance after a Samba band complete with about fifty dancers wearing very little! Not our finest moment! Love Janx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also lucky you remembered to put pants on! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I love the image Jan, we don't have dancers with our band, if we did I don't think anyone would be looking at us banging our drums!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Chickpea, for not succumbing to eating crap. I 'cleansed' my diet a while ago and cannot tell you how much better I feel (physically as well as psychologically). The salad looks delicious - it's the stuff I love to eat these days. It will make you feel clean and energetic, instead of stuffed and sluggish, as crap will. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right Isabelle, this is the type of food I love, but when I'm tired it is so tempting just to fill up on rubbish. I'm trying to break this 'coping strategy'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your salad looks and sounds delicious. I hope you're feeling more like yourself again very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jennifer, despite lack of sleep I do feel more like myself this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Julee, I love lentils, I'm just an old hippy really lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lunch looks delicious!! Shame that you are too far away for me to pop round and share! Hope that you enjoy the concert tonight and that it gives the dog the shove off! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Amy, it certainly gave the black dog a kick up the backside. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks absolutely delicious. I'll let you know when we're next coming to the Eden Project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Em, I haven't actually been to Eden for a good look around for a few years, we have just been dashing up to watch a band then leaving. I must spend a day there soon as I'm sure everything has grown a lot since the last time. Yes let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this after I read your more recent post so I'm pleased you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Gina, just trying to do too much on little sleep means I crash and burn sometimes x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!