Thursday 10 July 2014

The Soundtrack to My Life





The Eden Project


When I was at school I was really into my music like most teenagers.  I read the NME and Melody Maker and knew all about the groups.  I wasn't into The Osmonds, Bay City Rollers and boy bands, my musical taste was more old Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Stooges, New York Dolls (I still have the Album) and Sex Pistols.

When the children came along I didn't have the money for C.D.'s or to go to gigs, but it still played an important part in my life.  A piece of music can transport me right back to a place and time.  It is tied up with so many good memories and helped me through difficult times.  The nights spent sleeping next to my sons hospital bed listening to the beautiful voice of India Arie to try to sooth myself to sleep.  Listening to Radiohead 'The King of Limbs' will always remind me of the long haul flights to Australia

Just before my operation last year, before I knew the prognosis, I went to see Sigur Ros at the Eden Project.  It was an emotional experience and I wept as I listened to their beautiful music.  When I was in hospital it was their music that helped me through the long long nights.



Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros (It means Hopping in Puddles)


Tonight I went to see a band called Pixies at the beautiful Eden Project.  I will take some more photos of it on Monday when we are there to see Elbow.  Last night I filled all of the space on my phone with videos of the band.  The biomes are especially beautiful at night when lit up. 



Pixies on stage, I managed to get close to the stage and see for once.  At 5'1" it is usually peoples backs I see.








I love this band, seeing them is on my 60 x 60 list of things to do, so that is something I can tick off.  I have been lucky enough to see many bands in the last few years and loved every minute of it, I think Eden has to be the most perfect setting and I'm lucky enough to have it on my doorstep.

Most people say 'who?' when I talk about Pixies so here is some film of them so you know who I'm talking about.  I couldn't get mine to upload, beaten by technology again!  Probably a good thing really, you can hear me singing on my film!!








Punk, Ska, Electronic and now Samba are the soundtrack to my life.  What is yours?

Chickpea xx




8 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of Sigur Ros before, but coincidentally I've been drawn to all things Scandi recently, after our trip to Reykjavik earlier this year. I have just received a double CD by Ane Brun whose voice i fell in love with listening to the closing credits on Wallender. Fueled by our visit to the Viking exhibition at the British Museum I started a Scandi/Norse love board on my pinterest account.And now i want to visit the Shetlands, I've got it bad.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Anoushka Shankar playing all the way up here today. M5 rubbish, music good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Far too many to mention, I couldn't possibly pick one.

    Rick Astley was number 1 when I had my daughter, I hate the song but it always reminds me of her lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go to Iceland Jean, fascinating country and culture. I love the Scandi style embroidery, and home style.

    Interesting travelling music Marianne!

    Your poor daughter Julee lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to think about the soundtrack question. Hmm...I was born in the disco era, was a child in the Madonna era, a teenager in the grunge era...and I still listen to all of it, especially the grunge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The music of our youth was also a huge influence on fashion, did you go for the 'grunge' look Jennifer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohhh so ENVIOUS you're going to see Elbow how fab,and at such a lovely place too,love all types of music,born in 61 so take your pick from there to now,love it all!
    Have a fab evening, Monday
    Take Care
    Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sue we're about the same vintage then. Yes Eden is a wonderful venue and I'm looking forward to seeing Elbow, perfect place for their music xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!