Friday 1 August 2014

Spicy Spinach and Chickpeas and a Big Thank You











Thank you so much for all the helpful comments yesterday.  A rug is a good idea to bring it all together Jennifer, I think I will look on the Ikea site.  I like the sound of painted plant pots Dawn, and a great idea about the blind, unfortunately they are made from a thin plastic so I wouldn't be able to paint them.  I will remember that for another time tho.  Pam, I will be scouring the charity shops for fabric for some cushions, hopefully I will find some with a nice retro feel.  Christina, I think I will use  lots of different textiles for the cushions to give it a bit of colour and excitement.  Good idea about the texture Jean, a lot of it will be neutral so as not to frighten buyers off, but I could add interest with different textures.  I'm getting quite excited about it now!  Thanks everyone xx Perhaps you could all pop over and we could have a painting party?

I was thinking of ways to use up the spinach from the veg patch before the slugs eat it all, I'm not good at sharing my food, especially with slugs!  Seeing as its Friday I thought of making my own 'takeaway'  This is roughly based on a recipe from Miss Masala.  All the things I cook are 'roughly based' on a recipe as I never have all the ingredients, or can't eat something in it.





Ingredients

1 medium onion
1 tin of chickpeas
1 colander of freshly picked spinach roughly chopped
1 green chilli
2 garlic cloves (OH isn't eating this so I can get away with it as long as I don't breath on him)
1 inch of ginger
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 chilli powder
1/2 cumin
1/2 garam masala
Salt

Peel the garlic and ginger and make a paste, I use a small grinder for little amounts of spices adding a small amount of water.  Alternatively you can buy garlic and ginger paste



Fry the chopped onions with the ginger and garlic paste until the onions are translucent.  Keep and eye on it so it doesn't burn and keep stirring if it starts sticking.  Add a little hot water if it does stick.  This takes about 5 mins

Add the cumin, chilli, chopped chilli and turmeric and simmer for a further 5 minutes

Add the chopped spinach and cook down, mix it with the onion and spice mix.  When it is cooked add 1/2 mug of hot water and blend it into a sauce. I used a hand blender but you could use a food processor.   Add the tomatoes (optional I had some to use up), chickpeas and garam masala and season with salt.  Allow to cook until it is a nice thick sauce and the chickpeas are heated through and softened.  I served mine with rice,  it would be lovely with naan, oh how I miss peshawari naan!  You can alter the amount of spices and garlic to suit you own taste.






I would especially like to thank Isabelle over at Notes from Delft  for nominating me for Liebster.  Crikey was I surprised, i've only been blogging a few weeks!  I will write the post over the weekend so watch this space.

Happy Friday everyone where ever you are

Chickpea xx

10 comments:

  1. Yum, another delicious way to hide spinach. I'm sure it will be a hit in this household!

    And... you're welcome. Happy writing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious, I might cook it for dinner. It won't be a winner with the offspring but if hungry enough, they'll eat it. My husband loves spinach and I like it mixed in with other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They'll never guess what it is Isabelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could put the spinach sauce with anything Christina, I have eaten it with Paneer and it was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds absolutely delicious chickpea and so appropriate. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was about time I made something with my namesakes Em :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love chickpeas as well as spinach so I think I'd enjoy this dish a lot. Thank you for sharing. The plans for the room sound great, I think it's going to turn out very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure Jennifer x I'm hoping it will look o.k. just going to take me time to paint it. Just as long as it looks fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!